The romantic gothic Castle - a product of the early 19th century - stands on a high rise above a lake. The Castle is surrounded by sweeping lawns and a variety of mature trees, including Cedars of Lebanon, Oak, and Chestnut. The gardens surrounding the Castle provide a lovely mix of colour and height, with intriguing walks around the lake. There is a Temple Water Garden, Rose Garden, a variety of mixed borders. Plantings are planned to provide colour at all times of the year.
In 1801, George James, 4th Earl of Cholmondeley was responsible for the demolition of the original Hall refer “History” and the erection of a comparatively small ‘gothic villa’, designed by local architect William Turner of Whitchurch which is Cholmondeley Castle today.
The gardens at Cholmondeley are currently being extensively developed through many exciting new projects and improved planting schemes. Across the gardens we are 'editing' the planting and renovating borders. The Rose Garden was completely replanted in Spring 2017, and is establishing nicely. The new Lavinia Walk borders have been sown with a green manure to enrich the soil before planting commences in the Autumn 2017. The Folly Garden has newly renovated woodland borders, which are awaiting large scale planting in the Autumn. Works across the garden started early this year and will continue until Spring 2018